Hummus us one of my FAVOURITE things in the whole world, but using chickpeas can get a bit samey so I’ve started playing with my recipe.
In this, I use butter beans instead of chickpeas, and add both dill and seaweed.
Dill is such a beautiful herb. Just stroking its feathery fronds is so soothing, and adding it to hummus has been just another lovely find.
As for the seaweed, I had some left over soaking in a bowl, so I thought – let’s give it a go. I can’t say it adds much to the flavour, but I do know behind the scenes, it’s adding a nutritional punch, full of wonderful minerals, so a big thumbs up for seaweed.
- 1 tin (400g) of organic butter beans (unsalted in water) (equates to about 240g of actual beans) (Even better prepare some from scratch)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of light tahini
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- A little Himalayan Salt to taste
- A good handful of fresh dill , picked off the main stalks
- A little dried seaweed, pre-soaked (save the water as you can use in the mix or just drink it!!)
Whiz around in a blender until smooth …………….
You can add a little of the seaweed soak water if wanted
Empty into a bowl and keep chilled in the fridge
I used Organic Irish Spirulina (produced by Algaran) which is rich in Iron, Calcium and Magnesium, amongst other things!!.