Apple and Ginger on the rocks
I love drinking water but sometimes it’s nice to have a change, and during summer, it’s good to jazz it up a little. Whilst others are sipping alcoholic cocktails, I prefer a fruitier keep-my-head sort of beverage which refreshes and hydrates, whilst also being yummy.
The other week I went for lunch with friends to a restaurant in Brighton and enjoyed a fruity mix of apples, cucumber and ginger. I’ve tried to recreate it here. It’s very simple.
4 small apples
small knob of fresh ginger (Add more if you like it extra zingy)
0.5 – 1 large cucumber
Juice of 1 lemon.
Extra cucumber, cubed
Thin slices of lemon
Optional: Ice cubes for serving
Optional: fresh mint leaves
- Juice the apples, ginger and cucumber.
- Add the lemon juice (I juice separately using a lemon-squeezer)
- Dilute with a little filtered water (I find it more refreshing if diluted)
- Add cucumber chunks and slices of lemons
- If using, add some mint leaves
- If you want this drink chilled (if say it’s a sweltering hot summer’s day!), put in the fridge for half an hour before serving. If you like to drink a juice straight from the juicer, so that you don’t lose any of the goodness, put the ingredients in the fridge for half an hour BEFORE juicing, so that they are chilled beforehand.
- Serve with / without ice.
Makes 2 small drinks.
See also my Summer Lemon and Lime Drink